Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Peaches!!

Every year I look forward to peach season!  When my kids were young, August always meant a trip to the peach orchard for picking lots of juicy, delicious peaches at Green Bluff. This year, with my kids all gone, I cheated and got my peach fix at the Farmer's Market. And of course fresh peaches means lots of eating and lots of baking!  

  I got some Red Havens for baking and...

...these little donut peaches for quick grabbing and eating.  Aren't they cute?!


So Sunday morning I was feeling a coffee cake with my bounty. 

Here's the first thing you need to know about my cooking/baking style: recipes are merely suggestions and a starting point. I had the good fortune of growing up in a family with lots of good cooks and recipes were something to be loosely followed (which may pose a problem if you're trying to follow a "recipe" I post, but I'll try to be as precise as possible.)

Second, I don't have a lot of original baking recipes that I have created as I rely on those wiser and more experienced for the finer things like the correct amounts of baking powder or soda, etc. I will, however, always do my best to give credit where it's due.

So, I grabbed my one of my favorite cookbooks and went about tweaking it to include the ingredients I wanted. 

I bought this book a lonnngggg time ago and it has recipes from Bed & Breakfasts all over the west coast.  I highly recommend it! It's my go-to breakfast cook book. So here's the recipe I adapted from a coffee cake in this book.

Blueberry Peach Breakfast Cake

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. Zoi Honey Greek Yogurt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
grated lime zest from one lime
juice from roughly half a lime
1 c. blueberries
1 fresh peach, peeled and roughly chopped

topping 
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c.  oatmeal
handful of chopped pecans
dash of freshly grated nutmeg
shake of cinnamon (1/4-1/2 tsp. depending on your preference)
2 TBSP melted butter

 Preheat oven to 350º.  In a medium bowl combine butter, coconut oil*, and sugar; beat in egg. In a separate small bowl combine flour*, baking soda, and salt.  At this point I used a little of the flour mixture to coat my blueberries, as those were frozen and set those aside. Add flour mixture without the berries to butter mixture. In a tiny bowl combine yogurt, vanilla, and lemon juice and zest. Now add the yogurt mixture.  Don't over mix when you're adding the different elements! Mix just until combined. Add blueberries and peaches. For topping, mix brown sugar, oatmeal, pecans, nutmeg and cinnamon with the melted butter.  Pour batter into a greased9x9 baking dish and add top with...the topping.Bake for 30-40 minutes until cake is done.

*I love coconut oil for baking but I prefer when mixed with butter or it's too rich for me.  But here's where you can adapt as you like.  Use all butter, butter and shortening, or any other combination you like.
I also like to use whole wheat pastry flour often, but if you prefer, use all white flour. 


 
Here's the finished product! They were moist and delicious! At least my sister and I thought so.  I hope you do too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment