Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pillows!

Not too long ago I pinned some pictures on one of my Pinterest boards and soon after I got a text from my sister that read, "A Pillow board? Really?!" It made me laugh!  I love pillows because they can add a pop of color, texture and style to a room without having to change the big things like furniture.  But I'm amazed at how expensive they are to buy!

I also love the wall hangings that are all the rage right now, that have inspirational quotes or a word like "family" and then a collection of words that describe what family means.  I love words!  Anyone who knows me well would tell you I have A LOT of words I must use every day.  I'm inspired and moved by thought in print and I love words all around me...in books, on wall hangings, on pillows...

So all this leads me to my latest project: pillows!  I wanted to make a pillow with my blog name, an entrusted life, as an inspirational sort of reminder that I want to make each day all that it can be.  So I borrowed a Cricut machine from a friend and set about making some templates for my pillow.  Here's a look at what I came up with.


I bought a huge cotton drop cloth at a local hardware store that I thought would be perfect.  It's 9 ftx12 ft so it will make lots of pillows! And it's the perfect textured, off white, vintage look that I was going for. And for $16!  So I blocked my templates out on a piece of the canvas, like so...

Of course, it took me an hour to arrange everything just so-even though there are only three words. I hate to commit to anything prematurely!  Now I bought some fabric paint and some spray paint since this is my first time doing this and I wanted to be able to compare results.  On this one, I used a silver, metallic, matte finish spray paint. Here's how it turned out.




I didn't edit these photos at all before I downloaded them, so this is a little dark, but you get the idea.  It's hard to see here, but the spray paint bled more than I liked so I decided to move on to the fabric paint.

Here's a pic of half of my living room, just for fun.  This project was spread ALL OVER!!

On to my next brainstorm!  I have seen t shirts in tourist shops with the name of your location and the latitude/longitude of that location.  And I thought how fun it would be to make a pillow with the word "home" and the latitude/longitude of my home's location.  I'm brilliant! (Maybe someone else has thought of this, but I haven't seen it. So don't burst my bubble!) So I made up a template and blocked it out over the course of two more hours and a very sweet movie about a boy and his dog lost in the wilderness.  On this one I used a brown fabric paint and I was ecstatic with the results! 


 Ha! I just realized you can see my toes as I'm standing on a chair to photograph this.  Well, it's staying!  And here is the finished product!!!

I absolutely LOVE it!! In fact, I'm thinking maybe I will sell these on Etsy?!  More details on that to come as I think through the details.  Tell me what you think! 

1 comment: